Thursday, November 5, 2009

Goodbye to baseball '09

    Well - now that the baseball season is officially over, I can finally exhale. I am a total Mets junkie, and have been since 1962. I even wrote a book about the in 1986 - "25 Years of Baseball Magic." I've thought of doing a sequel - a 50th year anniversary celebration, in 2011...but now I'm not so sure. Well, at least the Yankees won, so my nearest rival (the Phillies) can't repeat. All that being said, I am reminded of how promising the beginning of the baseball season was for me. Citi Field opened to great pomp and circumstance, and I was a guest at the formal debut of the Jackie Robinson rotunda. I reunited with Jackie's widow Rachel, and her kids Sharon and David. And that night, the Mets actually managed to win! I even wrote an essay about the occasion for the Vineyard Gazette!  http://www.mvgazette.com/article.php?20744


The Mets starting team, all wearing Jackie's uniform number.


                                         Chaos on the infield.

     Alas, it was not meant to be a memorable season.....but these pictures remain so. There's always next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment